A wise man once told his son to buy the truth and sell it not. This instruction is timely for this present age because the line is blurred about what is right or wrong, moral or immoral, good or evil. There are various facts, information, research, surveys and arguments that have emerged that stands to challenge what had long existed. Dictionaries have modified the meaning of marriage. Youths cannot clearly tell the difference between sex and love. Sound doctrines are rare in most churches and godliness isn’t encouraged.
Therefore, we need a cutting edge demarcator which is the Truth. Dearest, let’s examine the instruction of Proverbs 23:23 that says Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. My focus will be on the first part of the verse “buying the truth…” I would talk about what it means to buy, what the truth is, why we need to buy and how to buy the truth. This is a brief break from the 3D series (Time and Man) I started a while ago. I would continue the series in subsequent post. Thanks.
The word “buy” has several definitions but my focus is on the most appropriate for this article. To buy means to acquire by trade or sacrifice or exchange. Note the word, sacrifice. It implies paying a price for the acquisition of a commodity. As believers, we need to consciously make efforts to get the Truth. We are to exert ourselves in this so that we wouldn’t get confused of what the truth is. Pay a price for the Truth in your life!
From the scriptures, the word Truth has three definitions. Firstly, Jesus is the truth (John 14:6). He said this himself and no one can improve on it. He is the fundamental doctrine of true theology. Secondly, God’s word is the truth (John 17:17). God’s word especially the written word, the Bible, or the spoken word by the Holy Spirit to your spirit man can also represent Truth that Proverbs 23:23 is talking about. Thirdly sound biblical doctrine about Christian practices is also the Truth. (Titus 1:14, Galatians 3:1)
The reasons for the imperativeness of the Truth are the following;
- We are in the last days when some believers will desert the Christian faith. They will follow spirits that deceive, and they will believe the teachings of demons. These people will speak lies disguised as truth. (1 Timothy 4:1-3) From that scripture many will be seduced and deceived into error. So dearest, get the truth for yourself!
- Furthermore, in during these last days, there will be more and more lawlessness, most people’s love will grow cold. (Matthew 24:12). We need solid truth in us to prevent this from happening.
- The deposit of truth in a believer guides against error. (2 Timothy 2:15-18).He/she does not fall prey to false teachers and false doctrine. Also, He/she know what to do when faced with an unfamiliar situation.
- Knowledge of the truth in you will help others who are in error out of it. (Galatians 6:1)
Firstly, let me state where you can buy the truth. It is the Church because it is the ground and pillar of the Truth. After this is settled, then it is behooving to mention how to practically get the truth after the importance have been emphasized. Here are the practical steps I believe would give you a head start. Please do note that these steps are not limited as The Holy Spirit can expand this in your hearts to suit your lifestyle.
- Get an audio bible on your device (smartphones, iPod etc.) and listen to it when in transits
- Get more messages of Bible based teachings on your phone
- Find time to have a weekly bible study.
- Increase your church attendance. Attend more weekly meetings and not only Sundays.
- Listen to men of God who are tested and trust over the years by the fruit of their ministry.
- Challenge yourself to finish the Bible in a year
- Do a Bible studies on teaching/doctrines that are confusing or unclear to you.
Dearest, I hope you have been blessed by this piece. Till next time, live the best for God.